Published: Tue, March 24, 2020
Global News | By Blake Casey

COVID-19: 39 new cases, nine more deaths reported on Chinese mainland

COVID-19: 39 new cases, nine more deaths reported on Chinese mainland

Wuhan, the capital of central China's Hubei province and epicenter of the outbreak in the country, reported one new case, the National Health Commission said on Tuesday, following five days of no new infections.

A total of 39 new COVID-19 cases, all originating overseas, and nine more deaths were confirmed on the Chinese mainland as of Sunday midnight, according to China's National Health Commission.

Hubei saw seven new deaths, all of which were in Wuhan, bringing the total number of deaths in the province to 3,160.

Britain Put On Lockdown For Three Weeks Amid Coronavirus "National Emergency"
All public assemblies of more than two people, excluding people who live together, will be banned, the prime minister said . Weddings, baptisms, and other ceremonies are being stopped, but funerals will continue to go ahead.


The total accumulated number of confirmed cases in mainland China stands at 81,171. The nine people all died in Hubei. The city has been under lockdown since January 23. With the pandemic rampaging across the world, the situation remains complex and challenging.

China "applauded" the aid sent by India during the height of Beijing's battle against the coronavirus and said it would like to share its experience in handling the COVID-19 with New Delhi and provide necessary assistance in preventing its spread. As per reports, earlier in the week, Wuhan reported no new cases of the coronavirus for the first time since the outbreak began and the checkpoints around the city have been lifted by authorities.

Like this: