Published: Thu, February 27, 2020
Life&Culture | By Sue Mclaughlin

David Beckham Shares His Support For Prince Harry During Royal Transition

David Beckham Shares His Support For Prince Harry During Royal Transition

After announcing in early January that they meant to step down as senior members of the royal family, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will officially end their royal duties on March 31st.

The Duke of Sussex entered his final round of engagements as a working royal on Wednesday in Edinburgh as he launched a new travel firm for frequent flyers - and asked his audience, "just to call him Harry".

Harry and Meghan will join the queen on March 9 for a Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey, which is expected to be their last official appearance as working royals.

Last week they announced that although they will retain their "His/Her Royal Highness" titles, they would stop using them when they step down from representing the queen from March 31.

During the event, host Ayesha Hazarika, while introducing him, revealed that the Duke of Sussex wants people to call him just Harry.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are now preparing to officially resign from royal duties and move to North America.

Travel to South Korea restricted for military, civilians because of coronavirus scare
United States public health officials are warning that it is inevitable the COVID-19 coronavirus will become a pandemic . The disease has now reached dozens of countries, with Austria, Croatia and Switzerland the latest to declare cases.


Speaking with ET recently, the 44-year-old former athlete opened up about Harry and Meghan's choice to step down as senior royals and put focus on their family first.

Imaginably, Prince Harry's latest announcement only adds to the tension. Prince Harry has previously made it clear that he wasn't happy with the terms of the so-called #Megxit deal given to him by the Queen. And, royal reporter Omid Scobie tweeted that before Harry was introduced to the crowd, he requested that the emcee leave out his royal title.

They had originally planned to use "Sussex Royal" as the brand for their charitable foundations and business ventures, according to CBS News' Charlie D'Agata.

Alongside the event in Edinburgh, the pair's itinerary includes a visit to an annual charity performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London and attending the Endeavour Fund Awards, which recognizes wounded military personnel. "In addition to continuing to work closely with their existing patronages as they build a plan for engagements in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth throughout the year", a spokesperson for the couple said earlier this month.

"It was their decision to do this and the family is clearly trying their best to facilitate it", one said.

Like this: