Published: Thu, February 27, 2020
Life&Culture | By Sue Mclaughlin

Canary Islands hotel quarantined after doctor tests positive for COVID-19

Canary Islands hotel quarantined after doctor tests positive for COVID-19

The Government is planning to evacuate more than 160 British tourists from a hotel in Tenerife the moment it becomes apparent coronavirus quarantine procedures have begun to fail.

"We are checking people who had contact with the patient including the people in the hotel", a spokeswoman for Canary Island's health department.

She added that hotel workers are being allowed to rotate in shifts, and those among the staff who leave the premises will need to remain under official surveillance at home.

"That's why we are asking people to call only when they develop symptoms, so we are not forced to test everyone", he said. His is the third case of coronavirus in Spain and has been admitted to hospital, where he's been placed in isolation.

Hannah Green, 27, from Hertfordshire, who is on holiday with her boyfriend Court Amys and their one-year-old son, said on Wednesday: "We had a note under the door to stay in your room".

A patient in Barcelona has tested positive for the coronavirus, marking the first confirmed case in mainland Spain. "You must remain in your rooms until the health authorities say so", said the text in Spanish, English, French, Italian and German, a copy of which was sent to AFP. On its Facebook page, the H10 Costa Adeje Palace said it planned a carnival party on Thursday evening.

Spanish police officers stand outside the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel in Tenerife, on Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020.

Spain's Health Minister Salvador Illa late on Tuesday advised people not to travel to northern Italy and other global hotspots for the disease such as Wuhan in China, South Korea, Japan and Iran "unless it is essential".

In the Canary Islands there are now four patients who have tested positive for coronaviruses, a couple of Italian origin that arrived on the island on the 17th and two more people who travelled with them and had direct contact with the couple.

US and SKorea may cut back military moves due to coronavirus
South Korea is second in the world after China for the number of COVID-19 infections - 800 confirmed cases and eight deaths, as of Monday.


Guests are in lockdown in the hotel. "Obviously we're going to run out of nappies and formula".

"The hotel seems to be acting normally, except that we can not go out", he said, adding that guests had been allowed to have breakfast in the restaurant.

A spokesperson added that any Islander who had stayed at the affected hotel must self-isolate, whether they felt ill or not.

A video he later shot and sent to Reuters showed people enjoying their newfound - if relative - freedom, by the pool after the rules were relaxed, basking in the sun, majority wearing face masks.

Italian officials reported 11 deaths and 322 confirmed cases of the virus, 100 more than a day earlier.

He said he had not been tested for the virus yet and had missed his flight home.

"We are in close contact with the hotel management and the Spanish authorities, and are seeking further information", the department said in a statement to Sky News.

"I'm being optimistic and I feel well", said resident Andrea Casalis, as he waited to be tested.

Like this: