Published: Tue, February 18, 2020
Global News | By Blake Casey

Police charge 14-year-old with murder of Barnard student

Police charge 14-year-old with murder of Barnard student

Months after a Barnard College student was fatally stabbed in a robbery a few blocks away from her school, a teenage boy was charged with second-degree murder and robbery, authorities said on Saturday.

The male suspect has been indicted by a grand jury and was taken into custody Friday night without incident, New York City Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said at a news conference. Weaver was charged with second-degree murder and robbery in the attack on 18-year-old Tessa Majors. He's also charged with four robbery counts.

"Sadly, it can not bring back this young woman, this student, this victim", NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said of the arrest. "That is something even the most impartial investigation simply can not do".

Majors, 18, was fatally stabbed on December 11 while walking through Manhattan's Morningside Park in an attack that left members of the community shaken.

Majors played in a rock band and friends say she was considering a career in journalism.

"It paints a gruesome picture of what this young woman endured in her final moments", Vance said.

Her last known words were believed to be: 'Help me!

1100+ Ex-DOJ Staff Call on Attorney General Barr to Resign
The statement went on to say career attorneys should report any troubling actions they see to the department's Inspector General. Trump and his assertions that law enforcement must be independent of politics. "I'm gonna do what I think is right".

He had watched a grainy surveillance video of three young teens leaving the park shortly after the murder took place and, according to The New York Post, thought they must be students at a nearby middle school in Harlem. An arraignment has been set for Wednesday. According to the criminal complaint, a copy of which was obtained by the Spectator, a separate robbery in Morningside Park happened a few days before Majors' death, during which the suspect and two others robbed an iPhone from someone identified as "Informant #1".

"We're dealing with a 14-year-old and we will be very careful to safeguard all the rights that he has as we go forward with this case", said Vance.

She was found and rushed to St. Luke's Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 7:23 p.m. None were over 14 years old, police said. He is being held at a juvenile detention facility and will be prosecuted in Family Court.

DNA recovered from Majors' fingers matches Weaver's DNA, according to the complaint.

"The passing of Tess Majors is an unthinkable tragedy that has shaken us to our core", Barnard College President Sian Leah Beilock said during a community gathering in December following the attack.

Vance reported his office and the law enforcement are "in active investigation in conditions of other suspects, and that will carry on".

Meanwhile, the complaint declares that, on December 11, the three suspects initially followed a man through the park, before they turned their attention to Majors.

Like this: