Published: Sat, February 15, 2020
Global News | By Blake Casey

Europe reports first coronavirus fatality, after Chinese tourist's death in France

Europe reports first coronavirus fatality, after Chinese tourist's death in France

An elderly Chinese tourist in hospital in France has died of the coronavirus, becoming the first fatality in Europe, authorities have confirmed.

The 80-year-old patient, a Chinese national, had been in intensive care in France.

According to the report, the woman arrived in France on 16 January and was put in quarantine in hospital on 25 January. The vast majority of those suffering from the virus are in China. Only three deaths have so far been recorded outside mainland China - in the Philippines, Hong Kong and Japan.

Kenney says ongoing rail blockade risks becoming economic crisis
Canada's forest products sector is responsible for 10 per cent of total tonnage moved along the country's railway lines. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the disruptions must be resolved through dialogue, not by ordering in the police.


"As a precautionary measure, they made a decision to seek medical advice and, in line with the latest public health advice regarding the coronavirus, they were taken to hospital for a precautionary test".

"His daughter also has the COVID19 virus and is also hospitalised at Bichat, her health condition is not causing concern anymore and she should be released soon".

On Friday, the first COVID-19 infection was reported in Africa when Egypt confirmed a case.

Like this: