Published: Fri, January 24, 2020
Sport | By Kayla Schwartz

Olympic qualifying events canceled, moved over deadly Chinese coronavirus outbreak

Olympic qualifying events canceled, moved over deadly Chinese coronavirus outbreak

Next month's women's Olympic football qualifiers in Wuhan have been shifted to Nanjing, the Asian Football Confederation said on Wednesday, following an outbreak of the new coronavirus in the central Chinese city.

The city is considered the epicenter of the virus, which causes pneumonia-like symptoms. That will decide which two teams from Asia will host Japan at the Tokyo Olympics.

Coronavirus like SARS has killed 17 people in China so far and over 500 are said to be affected by it. Along with this, Asia / Oceania Boxing Tournament was also to be organized in this city from February 3 to 14.

The Kyodo report about the boxing bouts said the International Olympic Committee was expected to announce a new host and schedule for the qualifiers.

Women's football qualifiers for the Tokyo Olympic Games will be moved from the Chinese city at the centre of a virus outbreak to another location in the country, the Asian Football Confederation said on Wednesday.

Wozniacki tennis career over with defeat at Australian Open
The World No. 3 said that he didn't mind waiting as it was always fun to watch her play. "God, I'm going to miss her. Throughout my career, that's what I'm known for.


The AFC said the round-robin group-featuring host China, Australia, Taiwan and Thailand-will be played from February 3 to 9, retaining the same dates, in Nanjing. It has raised fears of a repeat of the SARS epidemic, which broke out in China in 2002 and 2003 and killed more than 800 people worldwide.

The decision follows Chinese health authorities telling people in Wuhan to avoid crowds and public gatherings.

"The Boxing Task Force continues to work closely with the Chinese Olympic Committee (COC) and all partners to explore alternatives and will immediately inform National Olympic Committees, National Federations and officials on any development", the IOC statement read. Among women, the protracted bitter standoff involving the legendary Mary Kom, upcoming Nikhat Zareen and Boxing Federation of India (BFI) ended with a selection trial for all categories, following which the squad for the qualifiers was announced.

The IOC has set up a task force to run the boxing competition.

Like this: