Published: Mon, January 20, 2020
Global News | By Blake Casey

Protesters urge sanctions against Hong Kong govt.

Protesters urge sanctions against Hong Kong govt.

Lau said the rally descended into chaos because the police had rejected the application for a march, forcing the crowds to gather in a small place.

Riot police on Sunday fired tear gas at protesters and arrested several people near the park, known as Chater Garden after some demonstrators attacked plain-clothes officers.

The city's Hospital Authority announced that seven people from Sunday's protest events were sent to hospitals to treat injuries, ranging from 17 to 60 years old.

Sporting their movement's trademark black clothing and masks, rally participants packed into Chater Garden, holding up signs that read "Free Hong Kong" and waved United States and British flags. The three were eventually let go.

Ventus Lau, the rally organiser, was arrested for allegedly violating the police's condition for the rally. He said the police's actions amounted to suppressing press freedom and the freedom of assembly. "People have then been calling for it in 2012, 2017, and we're now already in 2020", Lau, said.

Organizers had originally applied for a march from Central to Causeway Bay on Sunday to call for global sanctions against Hong Kong officials who they said were undermining human rights in the city.

The research shows that Hong Kong scored 8.9 points in the 2019 Human Freedom Index (HFI), ranks sixth in the world, up two places on the year before, closely behind Finland, Switzerland, Singapore, Iceland and New Zealand, while the US doesn't crack the top 20. One read: "Hong Kongers won't give up".

SpaceX launches, destroys rocket in astronaut escape test
The capsule splashed down around 10 minutes after launch in the Atlantic Ocean, where a recovery team was waiting. The previous month, only two of the Starliner's three parachutes deployed during a launch abort test.

Demonstrations against Beijing's encroachment into the former British colony, which was returned to Chinese sovereignty in 1997, first ignited in June over an extradition bill that would the Chinese regime to transfer individuals for trial in mainland China.

Beijing as well as Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam have refused further concessions and defended police tactics.

A female student, T, urged other countries to pay more attention to what's happening in Hong Kong and listen to the protesters' demands.

A large protest in Hong Kong was ended by police when clashes broke out between protesters and plainclothes officers Sunday.

But when the crowd swelled and overflowed onto the surrounding streets, some demonstrators temporarily barricaded the streets with umbrellas, traffic cones and other street furniture and dug bricks from the sidewalk. Eventually, the officer relented.

In face of the violent situation, police officers used minimum necessary force, including tear gas, to disperse and arrest the offenders. Police warned they would stop anyone attempting to march.

Like this: