Published: Mon, December 02, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Britain to honour its dead with vigil after London Bridge attack

Britain to honour its dead with vigil after London Bridge attack

On Friday, Met Police said a man had stabbed several people near and on London Bridge in the United Kingdom capital.

He did not spell out what those conditions were or why they failed to prevent him from killing two people.

He was shot dead by police while wearing a fake explosives vest on London Bridge.

One of those injured has been released from hospital while two are still receiving treatment.

Merrit's family described him as "our handsome, talented boy" and said he "died doing what he loved".

The girlfriend of London Bridge terror victim Jack Merritt broke down in tears as she attended a vigil in his memory in Cambridge.

Her family said she was "intent on living life to the full" and had a "wonderful thirst for knowledge" which enabled her to be the "best she could be".

"We come together this morning as Londoners to remember, to honour and to mourn the innocent lives lost as a result of the horrific terrorist attack this Friday", London Mayor Sadiq Kahn said at the vigil.

Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu confirmed that the suspect had been shot dead on the spot, and the incident was classified as a terrorist attack.

"They are being properly invigilated to make sure there is no threat", Johnson told the BBC in an interview. One of the wounded was identified as a university staff member.

Amazon pulls Auschwitz-themed Christmas tree decorations and bottle openers from website
The museum's tweet was liked more than 25,000 times, with some users posting screenshots of complaints they had sent to Amazon. The Auschwitz museum also alerted online store Wish on Monday about the same items being sold on its website.


Later that day, Staffordshire Police said a 34-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of preparation of terrorist acts - but added there was no information to suggest the man was involved in the London Bridge attack.

Video footage of the confrontation showed Khan, 28, being challenged by a man, reportedly a Polish chef, wielding the tusk - believed to have been grabbed from the historic hall where the stabbings began - as another person sprayed him with the extinguisher.

The accuracy of Mr Johnson's claim was challenged by Ed Davey, deputy leader of the Liberal Democrats, who told Sky News that the Prime Minister was misleading the public about the current law regarding the early release of prisoners.

London Bridge itself was cordoned off for most of the weekend to allow forensic work to be carried out but has now been reopened to traffic.

He was part of an eight-man network inspired by Al-Qaeda who had plotted to bomb targets including the London Stock Exchange, and planned to take part in "terrorist training" in Pakistan. He had been launched from jail 11 months earlier after serving lower than half of a 16-year sentence for a terrorism conviction.

With less than two weeks to go until the December 12 snap election, British politicians sought to apportion blame for the early release of Khan - who was released despite a warning from the sentencing judge in 2012 that he was a danger to the public.

Police said Khan was convicted in 2012 of terrorism offences and released last December "on licence", which means he had to meet certain conditions or face recall to prison. The Conservatives have been enjoying a 10 point lead over Labour in most opinion polls but the gap has been narrowing lately.

He penned an article setting out the new stance in The Mail on Sunday newspaper, under the headline: "Give me a majority and I'll keep you safe from terror".

Police said, however, there was no information to suggest a link to Friday's attack.

The victim was a course coordinator at Cambridge University's criminology institute, which was hosting its event by London Bridge to mark five years of its prisoner rehabilitation programme.

Like this: