Published: Fri, November 08, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Gunmen kill 37 in ambush on mining firm convoy

Gunmen kill 37 in ambush on mining firm convoy

Dozens killed & injured in attack on Canadian gold miner convoy in Burkina Faso A convoy of buses carrying employees and contractors of a Canadian gold mining firm and its military escort fell victim to an armed ambush in eastern Burkina Faso, leaving upwards of 37 dead and 60 injured, local authorities say.

It took place when five buses Escorted by the Burkina Faso military, they traveled to the Boungou mine in Semafo, an open-pit gold mine in the eastern part of the country, some 40 kilometers away.

Semafo said the Boungou mine site remained secured, although it has suspended operations as a result of the attack.

"Our sincerest sympathies go out to the families and colleagues of the victims".

The attack comes amid a surge in violence in the country that has internally displaced hundreds of thousands of people over the past few months, sparking "an unprecedented humanitarian emergency", the U.N. Refugee Agency said.

On the Toronto Stock Exchange, Semafo shares dropped 44 cents, or about 11 per cent, to close at $3.49.

North Korea slams planned U.S. military drills with South
After one of them was arrested by North Korean authorities near Kimchaek, the two others ran away toward the South. We also saw that, once they're accepted into our society, they could threaten the safety of South Koreans.


Canada condemns today's terrorist attack against a convoy of Burkinabè workers of the Canadian mining company SEMAFO.

The country's capital, Ouagadougou, was hit by extremist violence for the first time in January 2016. At least 30 people were killed after the militants targeted a cafe popular with foreigners.

In August this year, the army suffered its worst attack with 24 soldiers killed in an assault on a base in Koutougou, near the Mali border.

Almost 500,000 people have been forced to flee their homes due to the violence with almost 270,000 displaced in the past three months, the United Nations reported last month, adding that since previous year, more than 500 people have been killed in 472 attacks throughout the country.

Burkina Faso's government said the gunmen had conducted a "complex attack", adding that defence and security forces had launched a relief operation and were searching the area.

-With files from AP.

Like this: