Published: Wed, September 18, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Iran rules out talks as Trump links Tehran to Saudi oil attack

Iran rules out talks as Trump links Tehran to Saudi oil attack

Khamenei reiterated this on Tuesday, saying that if the United States "repents" and returns to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, then it can talk with Iran along with other parties to the deal.

Asked if Washington was certain that the missiles had been launched from Iranian soil, the official answered: "Yes".

"I will not get into that kind of details", the official said.

LONDON/DUBAI Saudi Arabia sought to calm markets on Tuesday after an attack on its oil facilities, with sources in the kingdom saying output was recovering much more quickly than initially forecast and could be fully back in two or three weeks.

Warning that the enemy's success to prove the efficacy of policy of maximum pressure on Iran will encourage the United States regime to employ such a tactic for bullying Iran in all other cases, the Leader said the Europeans are also trying to persuade Iran to hold a meeting with the U.S. president in order to prove the policy of maximum pressure successful.

"The whole situation is more complicated than the war hawks in town would have you believe", says Chris Preble, vice president for defense and foreign policy studies at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank.

Trump said he was sending Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to Saudi Arabia soon, but he had not made any commitments to protect the Saudis.

The price of oil saw a massive price spike Monday following drone strikes on a Saudi oil facility over the weekend that has shut off more than half of the kingdom's daily exports, or about 5% of the world's crude production.

Khamenei said that the US was trying to demonstrate that its current policy of applying maximum pressure on Iran, via economic sanctions, would work to bring the country to the negotiating table.

"In turn, we must prove that the policy of maximum pressure is worth nothing for the Iranian nation", Ayatollah Khamenei underscored. It was the worst such attack on regional oil facilities since Saddam Hussein torched Kuwait's oil wells during the 1990-91 Gulf war. "Their policy of maximum pressure will fail".

IPhone 11 phones pack a unique chip that Apple barely talked about
With the iPhone pro and iPhone pro max having close placement of camera lenses, it has triggered trypophobia in some people. These signals will be noticed by any nearby iOS device, and its location is sent - anonymous and encrypted - to Apple.


Iran's regional rival, Saudi Arabia, said the attacks were carried out with Iranian weapons and it was capable of responding forcefully.

Subsequently, the USA administration launched a "maximum pressure campaign" and reinstated sanctions on Iran's economy, mainly on Iran's oil exports.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi dismissed Washington's accusations, calling them "blind and futile".

The rapid developments have revived fears of fighting between Iranian and American forces in the Gulf - and perhaps an even larger conflagration.

Iran's Yemeni allies have promised more strikes to come.

Worldwide oil companies, fellow members of the OPEC oil cartel and global energy policy makers had heard no updates on the impact of the weekend attack from the Saudis for 48 hours, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

But U.S. Ambassador to the world body, Kelly Craft, told the Council that emerging information on the attacks "indicates that responsibility lies with Iran" and that there is no evidence the attack came from Yemen. Iran has repeatedly threatened that if it is prevented from selling its oil, other exporting countries will also suffer. However, Iran has denied a role in specific attacks, including bombings of tankers in the Gulf and previous strikes claimed by the Houthis.

The Iranian officials, including President Hassan Rouhani and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, have reiterated with a united voice that Iran will not hold talks with the U.S., either bilaterally or multilaterally, the Leader emphasized.

The Huthis said 10 drones struck the sites, but Saudi Arabia pointed the finger of blame at Iran.

Like this: