Published: Mon, September 02, 2019
Sport | By Kayla Schwartz

Injured Djokovic quits US Open clash with Wawrinka

Injured Djokovic quits US Open clash with Wawrinka

"It's no secret that I have a desire and a goal to reach the most slams and to reach Roger's record, but at the same time, it's a long road ahead hopefully for me", Djokovic said in his post-match press conference. "It's been really tough since my surgery". When I came to practice here I was moving well, playing well.

"For sure, I could see some little (signs) that he was in trouble", Wawrinka said.

Djokovic and Wawrinka are good friends, so obviously the two understand each other.

Then it looked as if defending US Open champion Novak Djokovic - the most resolute of defenders and the master of the 25-shot rally - was running out of steam on this humid evening. "I was playing superb tennis and I'm happy to be back". The No. 8-seeded Williams blasted 38 winners and won almost 80 percent of her first-serve points in a match that lasted a little more than an hour and a half.

ESPN commentator Pam Shriver, referring to the mutual respect shown between Naomi Osaka and Coco Gauff 24 hours earlier, said: "The women are being so well behaved, and the boys are just misbehaving". "You are the best!" I found my groove after a while and was able to roll really.

The 34-year-old Swiss has won three major titles - and they all came against members of the Big 3.

Expansive study finds no single "gay gene" behind same-sex attraction
Interestingly, just 40 percent of genetic influences were shared by both sexes while the other 60 percent were unique to each sex. The study does not allow any conclusive statements about the degree to which "nature" and "nurture" influence sexual orientation.


Djokovic's injury denied him a chance to edge closer to the record number Grand Slam titles, with his great rivals Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal having a chance to add to their trophy hauls at the US Open.

"He's playing unbelievable tennis, he's a great athlete".

"As soon as you get there, first match on Ashe against him, you can feel all the 20,000 people are behind him as soon as he hit the ball", Goffin said. Dominic Thiem surprised him on a raw, windy day in the Paris semifinals, but then Djokovic played a match for the ages, rebounding from down two match points to overcome Federer in the first Wimbledon final decided by a fifth-set tiebreaker.

If Britain's Dan Evans was feeling bad about the manner of his third-round defeat to Federer, he can surely take some comfort from the fact he won one more game than Goffin, the 15th seed.

This outcome scuttles the much-discussed possibility of a semifinal in NY between Djokovic and Federer, which would have been a rematch of their historic Wimbledon final in July.

Like this: