Published: Fri, August 16, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Kitchener woman charged after house explosion in London

Kitchener woman charged after house explosion in London

The driver was taken into custody and four police officers and firefighters were taken to hospital.

This was the aftermath minutes after a vehicle drove into a house in London, Ont., setting off an explosion and a large fire.

One member of the public and several first responders were injured, police said.

At its peak, upwards of 50 firefighters were battling the blazes overnight.

"I went outside and saw a huge plume of smoke and fire going up into the sky", he said.

Building division officials have been brought in to determine the structural integrity of the affected homes before letting residents back in.

Tim Southee equals Sachin Tendulkar’s record of most sixes in Test matches
Sri Lanka's Niroshan Dickwella is caught by New Zealand's Kane Williamson after the hosts had claimed a first innings lead. However, in the other two of the last three series that New Zealand have played, he has not been able to leave a mark.

Police said Daniella Alexandra Leis, 23, of Kitchener, Ont., has been charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm and driving above the legal limit. The LPS arrived at the scene and were quickly joined by members of the London Fire Department, and they worked together to control the damage.

Around 100 homes in the area were evacuated as a result of the incident late Wednesday.

Evacuees were housed at the Carling Heights Optimist Community Centre on Elizabeth Street before being moved to hotels or making alternative arrangements.

She has been released with a promise to appear in court on September 4. Officials could not guarantee that displaced residents would be back in within 24 hours.

"I would also like to acknowledge citizens in the area for evacuating so quickly, as well as those who provided care and comfort to their neighbours in the immediate aftermath".

The 12 homes not cleared for residents to return were in the area "most significantly impacted", the city said Thursday night.

Like this: