Published: Tue, August 13, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Three Dogs Die From Blue-Green Algae Poisoning Hours After Going Swimming

Three Dogs Die From Blue-Green Algae Poisoning Hours After Going Swimming

They quickly rushed her off to a veterinary hospital, but on arrival another of the dogs - Westie Izzy - began having seizures too. Now, their owners say they hope their loss will educate fellow dog lovers about the risky blooms. Worse still, there is no specific antidote for blue-green algae poisoning.

The women didn't know that the water was filled with the lethal algae-resembling bacteria commonly known as blue green algae.

"What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives ..."

Toxic blue-green algae are killing dogs across the US and it has been found in lakes in the Valley.

The news of the North Carolina death dogs also spurred action in California, where the State Water Resources Control Board sent out a HABs team to collect samples at the San Pablo Reservoir in the East Bay on Monday morning. 'We need your prayers.

Veterinarians say the process can happen within 15 to 30 minutes.

Perseids meteor shower to peak Monday night with stunning FIREBALL displays
They appear once a year, typically from mid-July through late August, but they have a well-defined peak on or around August 12th. The Perseids meteor shower will peak later tonight, and this is the best chance to catch them as they light up the sky.


Maps of the states where algae blooms reside are periodically updated by the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality. Nitrogen and phosphorus enter bodies of water as a result of human activities, such as agriculture, imperfect wastewater systems, fossil fuels, fertilizers, and the use of soaps and detergents containing those nutrients.

Two North Carolina dog owners are raising awareness of the dangers of blue-green algae after their beloved canines were killed by the toxic organisms last week. The toxic algae is usually blue, green, brown, or red, with a slimy texture and often a disgusting smell, the EPA noted.

Martin is harnessing her broken heart into positive action with a GoFundMe campaign.

So far, the page has raised more than $2,700 and been shared more than 15,000 times on social media.

They told CNN they thought the cyanobacteria they saw in the pond was flower blooms. Drinking from a body of water where blue-green algae lurks or licking it off fur can kill a dog within 15 minutes of exposure, according to Blue Cross for Pets, a United Kingdom animal charity. 'We must warn other pups and families about this blue-green algae.it's deadly.it's fatal'.

While city officials couldn't confirm to the news outlet that the dogs' deaths were linked to the algae, the report said they did not dispute the algae may be responsible. According to the EPA, symptoms to look out for in your dog include diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, staggering, drooling, trouble breathing, convulsions, and seizures.

Like this: