Published: Wed, July 10, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

US, Chinese trade envoys in 1st contact after Trump-Xi truce

US, Chinese trade envoys in 1st contact after Trump-Xi truce

USA officials held a phone call on Tuesday with their Chinese counterparts to discuss the ongoing trade conflict between the countries, United States officials said.

Top US and Chinese negotiators held phone talks on Tuesday as the world's top two economies seek to resolve their trade war, more than a week after they declared a truce.

However, a USTR spokesman said on Monday, the 8th of July 2019 that the trade talks were expected to resume with a phone call between Chinese Vice Premiere Liu He, US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin as early as by this week.

A United States official confirmed the call and said the continued negotiations were aimed at resolving the outstanding trade disputes between the two countries.

China's Commerce Ministry said in a short statement that the two sides had "exchanged views on implementing the consensus of the two countries' leaders at the Osaka meeting".

The talks to end the trade war between the U.S and China broke down in May after the United States blamed China for retreating from commitments including new laws to address the US concerns.

Inter Will Make Official Offer To Manchester United For Lukaku This Week
Lukaku has made it clear on numerous occasions he wants to join Inter and the forward will be hoping for good news in Australia soon. "That's all I can say about this matter", he said.


A USA official said, "Both sides will continue these talks as appropriate".

After talks almost collapsed in May, Mr Trump and Mr Xi met on June 29 on the sidelines of the Group of 20 summit in Japan and agreed to resume negotiations toward ending their year-long trade war and to refrain from imposing any new tariffs.

Three sources familiar with the state of negotiations said that the Chinese side did not make firm commitments to immediately purchase agricultural commodities. USA officials say they will maintain some of the additional tariffs they are charging on Chinese imports.

There has been no indication the two sides will resume negotiations using a text that had been largely agreed before China backtracked on commitments in early May, prompting Trump to proceed with a long-threatened tariff hike to 25 per cent on a US$200 billion list of Chinese imports. The U.S. president also said he would allow U.S. companies to resume supplying some of their products to Huawei, but added that the Chinese telecommunications-gear-making giant would remain on a Commerce Department trade blacklist over national security concerns.

Beijing is urging Washington to lift all punitive levies right away.

Kudlow also said relaxed US government restrictions on China's Huawei could help the technology giant but would only be in place for a limited time. "We want a good deal".

Like this: