Published: Tue, June 25, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Database says 91,600 killed in Yemen fighting since 2015

Database says 91,600 killed in Yemen fighting since 2015

Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Britain and the USA, in a joint statement published by the Saudi embassy in Washington on Sunday, voiced concern about the escalation in Houthi attacks, without mention of the latest drone launches.

"Yemen has advanced techniques, USA systems, spread throughout Saudi Arabia, can not intercept them", Saree said.

"We are closely monitoring the situation and continuing to consult with our partners and allies".

Earlier on Wednesday, a Saudi-led military coalition fighting the rebels said a Huthi drone was intercepted over Yemeni airspace.

On Thursday, June 20, the Saudi-United Arab Emirates (UAE) led military coalition in Yemen confirmed that rebel Houthi forces had launched a projectile into a desalination plant in Al Shuqaiq but reported no fatalities or damage to the facility.

Pentagon spokesman Navy Commander Rebecca Rebarich said such attacks were "a significant cause for concern and (put) innocent lives at risk".

There was no immediate confirmation of the attack from Saudi authorities.

Trump Announces New Iran Sanctions
Trump's administration has said the deal struck under his predecessor President Barack Obama did not do enough. USA secretary of state Mike Pompeo said "significant" new sanctions would be announced on Tehran on Monday.


A bloody civil war in Yemen has been called a "proxy war" between Sunni Muslim Saudi Arabia and Shi'ite-led Iran.

The quartet also voiced concern about "dangers posed by Iranian destabilising activity" to peace and security both in Yemen and the broader region, citing attacks on oil tankers in Gulf waters.

Tehran has denied involvement in the tanker attacks, which no one has claimed responsibility for.

The Iran-backed Huthis meanwhile targeted two Saudi oil pumping stations last month, and a Huthi attack last week on an global airport in the southwestern city of Abha wounded 26 civilians, drawing promises of "stern action" from the coalition.

Iran on Thursday said it shot down a United States drone, which the elite Revolutionary Guards said was flying over southern Iran.

Last week, 26 civilians were injured in a projectile attack that targeted Saudi Arabia's Abha International Airport. A USA official said it had been shot down in worldwide airspace over the Strait of Hormuz.

Like this: