Published: Tue, June 18, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

USA releases new photos it says incriminate Iran in tanker attacks

USA releases new photos it says incriminate Iran in tanker attacks

The apparent attack came just two days after unknown assailants fired rockets at Balad air base, another Iraqi installation where USA military personnel were present.

Trump had called the 2015 agreement "horrible" and said he would like to negotiate a new one.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said more evidence will be released to show Iran was responsible for attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman and the Trump administration is weighing all options - including military - in response.

"I support very much the line of the UN Secretary General Mr. Guterres, that a proper investigation [to put] all the facts on the table and then we can look what really has happened, who is behind this", he said.

Iran's nuclear agency spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi said on state television Monday, "The countdown to pass the 300 kilograms reserve of enriched uranium has started and in 10 days time [June 27]. we will pass this limit".

"We continue to call on the Iranian regime not to obtain a nuclear weapon, to abide by their commitments to the worldwide community", spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus told reporters.

Adam Schiff, head of the House Intelligence Committee and a leading Democratic critic of the administration, said the evidence of Iranian involvement "is very strong and compelling".

"We don't want to see it escalate to where it is a military operation", he told NBC's "Meet the Press", adding: "But we have to stand up to Iran".

Facing twin challenges in the Persian Gulf, President Donald Trump said in an interview with TIME Monday that he might take military action to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, but cast doubt on going to war to protect global oil supplies.

Egypt's Former President Mohamed Morsi Dies of a Heart Attack in Court
The country's interior ministry announced a state of high alert after the announcement of Morsi's death, local media reported . He was also given a 20-year sentence over the killing of protesters in December 2012.


Fox News previously reported that Iranian gunboats surrounded a rescue vessel carrying the crew of one of the tankers and forced the surrender of the crew.

That increased pressure preceded a string of attacks that the USA has blamed on Iran.

The United Arab Emirates' top diplomat says evidence his country possesses indicates that recent attacks against oil tankers inside UAE waters were "state-sponsored". Saudi Arabia's crown prince has also visited Beijing this year.

Last week, the group claimed responsibility for a cruise missile attack that wounded 26 people inside a terminal at the airport, roughly 125 miles north of Yemen's border with Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia's Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih called for a "swift and decisive" response to threats against energy supplies after Thursday's "terrorist acts".

Tensions between Iran and the US, along with its allies including Saudi Arabia, have risen since US President Donald Trump withdrew from an worldwide agreement aimed at restricting Tehran's nuclear programme past year.

In order not to harm Japan's traditional friendly ties with Iran, the government is also reluctant to take up the incident when it chairs a Group of 20 summit in the city of Osaka on June 28 and 29, a government source said.

Both Washington and Tehran have said they aren't seeking to start another war in the Middle East.

Like this: