Published: Tue, May 21, 2019
Markets | By Otis Pena

Huawei founder defiant in escalating dispute with United States

Huawei founder defiant in escalating dispute with United States

The founder of Huawei sought to put a fearless face on the situation, saying Tuesday that the company has "supply backups" if it loses access to American components.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Huawei CEO Ren Zhengfei says the TGL is "not a very big deal" and says that Huawei was prepared for this conflict.

The world's second-biggest phone maker runs its devices on Google's Android platform outside China, but the U.S. Commerce Department blocked Huawei from buying U.S. goods last week, throwing future software updates into question.

Google has said it will comply with the USA restrictions, and bar Huawei from access to some core components of Android and its proprietary services.

Huawei's mobile chief Richard Yu said previous year that the company was working on its own operating system.

Half the chips used in Huawei equipment come from the U.S. and the other half are made by the Chinese company, he said.

"This is a fairly major setback for Huawei's smartphone division", said Ryan Whalen, a professor with the Law and Technology Centre at the University of Hong Kong.

Having a new OS on the market may be a good idea to attempt breaking up the seemingly unbreakable iOS-Android duopoly that exists in smartphones, but Huawei definitely has a hard task ahead, not only in making the smartphone OS work well, but also to get developer attention for its new OS.

"In short, this license will allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile phone users and rural broadband networks", he said.

Recently, the US government put Huawei on a blacklist, which meant that all American firm had to cease any cooperation with the Chinese company. Huawei phones have been removed from the Android Q Beta page, so the company presumably has been kicked out of the Android Q early-access program for manufacturers.

COD Mobile Info Revealed: Maps, HUD, Weapons, Loadouts, and more!
A variety of control options let you customize the toggles like sensitivity, gyroscope aiming, field of vision, and sprinting. And apparently the devs are going to launch the final version of the game when they finally do release the game for everyone.


Google announced it would comply with USA government restrictions meant to punish the Chinese tech powerhouse.

The White House has also undertaken a number of efforts to counter Huawei and other Chinese tech firms in the USA, banning the use of their smartphones on United States military bases and banning American firms from using their telecom equipment.

This means that owners of Huawei smartphones, including more than three million in the United Kingdom, could receive security updates weeks later than owners of phones supported by Google.

Google had confirmed yesterday that the upcoming Huawei phones won't be featuring Google apps and services. Washington's efforts to convince the European Union and its member nations to bar Huawei from their 5G networks have failed so far - although Australia has agreed to adopt such a ban.

The ruling forced Google to pull most of its Android operating system and ubiquitous mobile services from future Huawei devices.

The U.S. Commerce Department is granting a 90-day period before the full bans go into effect, to give suppliers time to adjust.

Germany, France and the Netherlands have resisted USA pressure, but analysts say they can not do so for long.

"This is not just an attack against Huawei". According to the Information Technology & Innovation Foundation, US-based companies stand to lose $56.3 billion in export sales over five years from these sorts of restrictions, threatening as many as 74 000 US jobs.

Microsoft is still refusing to confirm whether they will be complying with Donald Trump's ban on technology support for Huawei, but sometimes actions speak louder than words.

Seven Windows laptops are listed on Huawei's global website.

Like this: