Published: Mon, March 18, 2019
Sci-tech | By Patricia Wade

Whale Ate 88 Pounds Of Plastic Before Washing Up Dead In Philippines

Whale Ate 88 Pounds Of Plastic Before Washing Up Dead In Philippines

The museum said via their Facebook page they uncovered an extraordinary amount of plastic in the whale's stomach after conducting an autopsy.

"Credit: Darrell Blatchley/ D'Bone Collector Museum Inc". Blatchley said was the "most plastic" he has ever seen in a whale. Cetaceans - marine mammals including whales, dolphins and porpoises - do not drink ocean water but absorb fresh water through their food, he explained.

A young whale whose carcass washed up in the Philippines died of "dehydration and starvation" after consuming 40 kilograms (88 pounds) of plastic bags, scientists have found.

"I was not prepared for the amount of plastic", the museum's founder and president, Darrell Blatchley, told broadcaster CNN. 40 kilos roughly of rice sacks, grocery bags, banana plantation bags and general plastic bags. "Sixteen rice sacks in total".

"It was so bad the plastic was beginning calcification", he said. Darrel said workers would continue sifting through the whale's guts to identify the plastic which had clogged its stomach.

Mueller Pushes Back Sentencing For Key Witness Due To 'Several' Ongoing Investigations
If Gates wasn't needed anymore, the parties likely would have asked to set a sentencing date. Gates helped the government in obtaining a trial conviction of Manafort previous year .


The museum plans to release a full list of items that were found in the whale in the coming days.

Philippines Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources said local officials and fishermen had tried to release it but that the 4.7-metre-long whale returned to the shallow water on the shore. He added: "Doing this is not just for our gain but mainly to give education and for people to realise how magnificent these animals are".

"This can not continue", Blatchley said, noting the Philippines ranks as the second most plastic-polluted country in the world.

The team subsequently took the carcass to its facility and performed a necropsy, which found that it had died from ingesting plastic. "The Philippines needs to change from the children up or nothing will be left", he shared.

A 2017 study predicted a spike in plastic-related waste over the next decade, further highlighting potential future harm to marine life. All of them had been floating in the ocean before being swallowed by the marine creature, causing its death.

Like this: