Published: Mon, March 18, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Facebook already removed 1.5 million copies of New Zealand attack video

Facebook already removed 1.5 million copies of New Zealand attack video

There are nearly certainly still versions of the video available online, despite the efforts to remove them.

PewDiePie, the alias of Youtuber Felix Kjellberg, one of the most popular gaming vlogger in the world, had to come out and dissociate himself from the post. Right now Facebook is quite and maybe respond to it in a couple of days.

But Facebook initially missed the video of the attacks. Still, the problem persists.

The account of the shooter has now been removed from Facebook, and many other posts that had originally shared the footage have also disappeared from the platform.

According to Mia Garlick, who is a Facebook representative in the country, the New Zealand police alerted the social media platform shortly after the footage commenced and the platform removed both the video and the shooter's account.

"We're also removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter or shooters as soon as we're aware", Facebook tweeted.

A Twitter spokesperson said in a statement released to media that it has "rigorous processes and a dedicated team in place for managing exigent and emergency situations such as this". "We also cooperate with law enforcement to facilitate their investigations as required", it said. Footage from this stream later found its way into other platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Reddit.

Analysts quickly pointed out that the attacker, Brendon Tarrant, had engineered his attack for efficient propagation on social media channels.

Huawei P30 and P30 Pro leaks ahead of the official launch
The storage on the device will be expandable using Huawei's own NanoMemory card that was introduced on last year's flagship. Up front it has a attractive , 6.39-inch super amoled display with minimal bezels and no irritating notch anywhere.


Lotto has pulled its social media advertising and other New Zealand businesses are being asked to consider where they put their advertising money, after the Christchurch mosque attacks.

In January 2018, the family of a slain Cleveland man sued Facebook, alleging the social media platform could have done more to prevent his murder.

After Facebook stopped the Christchurch livestream, it told moderators to delete any copies or complimentary comments on the attack.

Earlier previous year, YouTube star Logan Paul posted a clip of a dead body hanging from a tree in Japan, prompting the Google-owned video portal to remove his channels from a preferred advertising programme. Clips of the video were copied and reposted thousands of times. Others shared shorter sections or screenshots from the gunman's livestream, which would also be harder for a computer program to identify.

"This is an issue that I will look to be discussing with Facebook", she warned.

But any time someone made a "tweak" to disguise it that created what was in essence a new file that needed to be detected and blocked, he said. According to her, this was done with automated technologies like audio detection and etc.

Some critics are even accusing the social media companies of purposely letting the video be reposted. What's additionally concerning, aside from those who may have stumbled across the footage, was the vast numbers of people who attempted (and some succeeded) in seeking out the footage, and sharing it or posting about it, before social media companies took it down.

Like this: