Published: Sun, March 17, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Victims rise to 50 in Christchurch mosque attacks, 1 suspect left

Victims rise to 50 in Christchurch mosque attacks, 1 suspect left

The Prime Minister said the advice she had received from police indicated that the timing of the email and the information it contained did not provide enough time for response.

For nearly three days forensics teams, many flown in from across New Zealand, have been working through multiple crime scenes - at the Al Noor and Linwood mosques as well as a house in Dunedin, the southeastern city where the suspected gunman, Brenton Tarrant, lived.

Some of the victims have survived civil wars in their home countries, only to die in one of the quietest countries at the other end of the world.

NZ Police Commissioner Mike Bush revealed on Sunday the body of the 50th victim had been found in the Masjid Al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue on Saturday night.

He has so far been charged with one count of murder, although judge Paul Kellar said it's "reasonable to assume" that more charges will follow, after yesterday's deadly shooting.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has vowed to change the country's gun laws and to uncover how a noted extremist legally purchased two semi-automatic weapons, reportedly AR-15s, two shotguns and a lever-action gun without drawing the attention of the authorities.

One person at the second mosque was being hailed for distracting and confronting the shooter, preventing further deaths.

Mosque worker Abdul Aziz risked his own life to challenge the gunman and try to snatch his weapon, according to attack survivor Syed Mazharuddin.

Asked why the perpetrator would not have been on a terrorism watch list, Barton said, "there are so many people posting the sort of thing that Brenton Tarrant was posting, that they just don't raise any alarms".

Main suspect charged with murder after New Zealand mosque shootings
Twitter and Google, which owns YouTube , say they're working to remove any video of the shootings from their sites, as well. Police say that this person was a member of the public armed with a gun with the intention of assisting officers.


He said his government expressed compassion and solidarity over this "despicable act affecting our neighbours".

Tarrant was remanded without a plea and is due back in court on April 5 where police said he was likely to face more charges.

"I haven't spoken to her directly but she has reached out, [and given] an acknowledgment of what has occurred here in New Zealand".

The prime minister that he would be charged and tried in New Zealand.

The terrorist who led an attack in which 50 people were gunned down in two mosques is believed to have travelled to Britain on a two-month tour of Europe which galvinised his extremism, the Telegraph can reveal.

Police warned Muslims all over the country not to visit mosques "anywhere in New Zealand" in the wake of the Christchurch attacks.

The youngest person missing and feared dead is three years old, Greenhill tells NPR's Weekend Edition. "Why not release those who have been identified?" he said.

Moreover, Pakistan's High Commissioner and Deputy High Commissioner in New Zealand would also be available for guidance, round the clock, the press release said.

Another Palestinian, Abdelfattah Qasem, 59, was the former secretary of the Muslim Association in the city.

Like this: