Published: Sun, February 10, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Prince Philip gives up driving and swerves charges

Prince Philip gives up driving and swerves charges

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: "After careful consideration, The Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence".

The Duke of Edinburgh, 97, gave up his credentials on Saturday, Buckingham Palace said.

Prince Philip made the decision "after careful consideration" following his vehicle crash last month in which a 45-year-old woman suffered a broken wrist.

Prince Philip famously drove US President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama from their helicopter on a visit to the United Kingdom in 2016, with the Queen in the back seat.

Two days later he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, prompting criticism.

It comes after the 97-year-old was involved in a auto crash near the Sandringham Estate, where his Land Rover rolled onto its side after colliding with a Ford Kia.

At the time of the collision, celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman said Philip could face a prosecution for driving without due care and attention, which carries an unlimited fine.

A CPS spokesman said the service "will take this development into account" as it studies Philip's case.

The Kia driver, a 28-year-old woman, received knee injuries while her 45-year-old passenger suffered a broken wrist.

Race to find survivors as Istanbul building collapse kills two
However, Mr Kurum told reporters that some apartments had guests at the time of the collapse, without providing details. The girl was the second child to be found in the rubble after the 9-year-old boy that was rescued earlier.


The prince was unharmed but was reported to have been significantly shaken by the accident, particularly as one of the occupants of the other vehicle - who was not hurt - turned out to be a nine-month-old baby.

Two days after the accident, Prince Philip was seen behind the wheel of a new auto and was given "suitable words of advice" by police when he was photographed not wearing a seatbelt while on a public road.

Fairweather, 46, told the Sunday Mirror she was "chuffed" with the letter, adding: "I thought it was really nice that he signed off as "Philip" and not the formal title".

The same witness said Philip had told police he was "blinded by the sun" when he turned onto the road without seeing the oncoming vehicle.

Philip's behavior also raised questions about why he was still driving instead of being chauffeured around by his entourage.

"He's making the most sensible decision he can ..."

AA president Edmund King said the decision to quit driving can be a hard one.

"In other words, the sun was shining low over the main road".

Like this: