Published: Tue, January 08, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Militant behind deadly USS Cole attack killed in Yemen: US military

Militant behind deadly USS Cole attack killed in Yemen: US military

President Donald Trump confirmed that a US military strike in Yemen last week killed Jamal al-Badawi, an al-Qaeda operative believed to be involved in the deadly 2000 attack on the USS Cole. "We will never stop in our fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism!" the president said.

The president took to Twitter on Sunday morning to announce the death of Jamal al-Badawi, one of the conspirators behind the bombing of the USS Cole in 2000.

Jamal al-Badawi took part in U.S.S. Cole bombing that killed 17 USA sailors in 2000; Jennifer Griffin reports from the Pentagon.

In October 2000, two men in a small boat detonated explosives alongside the Navy guided missile destroyer as it was refuelling in Aden, Yemen. "Jamal al-Badawi was an al-Qaeda operative involved in the USS Cole bombing". Urban said USA forces are attempting to confirm his death.

US Central Command, which oversees military operations in the Middle East, confirmed Badawi's death in a statement.

It is the latest blow to Yemen's al Qaeda branch, known as Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), which has lost key leaders in U.S strikes in recent years. In addition to his role in the bombing, he has been charged with attempting to attack a U.S. Navy vessel in January 2000.

Clemson overwhelms Alabama to claim second national title in three years
Clemson hit Alabama with a 31-point first half, capitalizing on the Crimson Tide's mistakes and unleashing Lawrence's rocket arm. A woman appeared to be staging a protest at Monday's title game and was dragged off the field by police.


The terror chief was indicted by a United States grand jury in 2003 and charged with murder in the attack.

The attack's alleged planner, Saudi-born Abd al-Nashiri, is being held in U.S. custody at Guantanamo Bay and could face the death penalty.

Badawi was captured by Yemeni authorities but escaped from prison in April 2003.

There had been a $5m reward for information leading to his arrest.

The chief suspect in the attack, Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, is being held in the U.S. detention camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Like this: