Published: Fri, January 04, 2019
Global News | By Blake Casey

Child dies from apparent allergic reaction to smell of cooking fish


On New Year's Day, 11-year-old Camron Jean-Pierre and his family visited his grandmother's house for a special party. Steven then called 911 and tried to keep the boy stable with a nebulizer, a machine that administers medicine during an asthma attack.

Around 7:25 p.m., police arrived at Jean-Paul's 82nd Street home in Canarsie and found him unconscious.

Cameron's father said the family thinks this may have caused the boy's allergic reaction, but the city medical examiner is expected to determine his exact cause of death, the Daily News initially reported. According to the NY Post, however, authorities do not now suspect foul play.

Although rare, there are cases of children having life-threatening anaphylactic reactions to the smell of certain foods while they are cooking.

"Anywhere you see him, you see the son", Marlin Fraser, 47, a neighbor, told the Daily News about the father and son.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez already has plans to defy Pelosi
Khanna was the first Democrat to say Wednesday that he wouldn't vote for the bill, dubbing it "terrible economics". The rules package needs 218 votes to pass.


"It just so happens they was cooking it when we came in", Jean-Pierre told the New York Post. "I love you." He gave me two kisses.

Unable to breathe after a whiff of the fumes, Steven Jean-Pierre recalls his son faded in and out of consciousness and said: "Daddy, I love you".

Commenting generally on allergies, she said: "It can be hard to predict but usually those with underlying asthma or a more severe allergy are at higher risk. I [tried] to give him CPR and he came back", but the boy slipped away, he added to the Post. That was my prince, man.

The smell of cooking fish could have caused the boy to reportedly have an allergic reaction. She now wants other parents of children with similar allergies to be aware that inhaling the aroma of fish can be deadly. The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology specifically warns that those suffering from fish allergies should stay out of places where fish is being cooked "as proteins may be released into the air during cooking". "Foods such as shellfish can more commonly become aerosolized due to their heating processes", she says.

Like this: