Published: Thu, November 15, 2018
Global News | By Blake Casey

Saudi admits journalist Khashoggi dismembered in consulate

Saudi admits journalist Khashoggi dismembered in consulate

Saudi Arabia's chief prosecutor on Thursday demanded the death penalty for five people charged with involvement in the killing of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a case that has triggered global outrage.

The case sparked global outcry, opened the kingdom to possible worldwide sanctions and tarnished the image of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

At a press conference held in capital Riyadh, Saud al-Mujeb said that Khashoggi died due to high dose of drugs given by his murderers, his body was dismembered after and transferred outside the consulate compound.

After issuing the statement, a spokesperson for al-Mojeb's office, Shalan al-Shalan, told a rare news conference Thursday in Riyadh that Khashoggi's killers had set in motion plans for the killing on September 29 - three days before his slaying in Istanbul.

A former deputy chief of the kingdom's intelligence service was the one who ordered the formation of a squad sent to Turkey in an attempt to convince Khashoggi to return to his homeland, the official said.

The journalist's body parts were then handed over to an agent outside the consulate grounds, he said, adding that the prosecutor's office possesses the presumptive image of local collaborator who received Khashoggi's dead body.

According to the Al-Arabiya report, the prosecution said that someone had disabled the security cameras inside the consulate before committing the crime.

Iran Hangs 'Sultans Of Coins,' Second Currency Trader
A third person, Hamid Bagheri-Dermani, was also accused of corruption and sentenced to death in preliminary hearings. His case was up for appeal before the Supreme Court, but the status of his case was not immediately clear.


His comments came shortly after Saudi Arabia admitted that 59-year-old Khashoggi was drugged and dismembered inside the kingdom's Istanbul consulate last month.

Investigations are still ongoing to find the remains of Khashoggi.

The prosecutor says 21 people are now in custody, with 11 indicted and referred to trial.

Yesterday, Turkey called for an worldwide investigation into the murder.

President Tayyip Erdogan said recordings related to the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, which Turkey has shared with Western allies, are "appalling" and shocked a Saudi intelligence officer who listened to them, Turkish media reported on Tuesday.

Al-Assiri, a close confidant of Prince Mohammed, is facing charges that include ordering Khashoggi's forced return to Saudi Arabia.

The journalist went into self-imposed exile in the United States in 2017 after falling out with Prince Mohammed.

Like this: