Published: Thu, November 15, 2018
Sport | By Kayla Schwartz

Chelsea facing two-year transfer ban?

Chelsea facing two-year transfer ban?

Fifa's rules prohibit the global transfer of players under the age of 18 unless their parents have emigrated for reasons unconnected with football, or if both the player and the purchasing club are based within 50km of a national border.

Both clubs are in the European Union or European Economic Area and the player is aged between 16 and 18. Traore now plays for Ligue 1 club Lyon.

FIFA's Integrity and Compliance unit want Chelsea to be prevented from signing any new players for a total of four transfer windows.

The report added that the world football governing body have been investigating the Blues' recruitment of underage players since it was revealed that former Chelsea youngster, Bertrand Traore was signed before his 18th birthday back in 2014.

Chelsea are reportedly among five Premier League clubs facing a transfer ban amid FIFA's investigation into the signing of foreign players under the age of 18.

The identity of the four other clubs involved in the investigation is not yet clear, however, presumably, Manchester City are a part of it as well.

Michelle Obama Opens Up About Her Heartbreaking Miscarriage
The former first lady has consistently said she is not interested and has no plans to run for public office. Winfrey will interview Obama in Chicago Tuesday night - the first stop on her high-profile book tour.


Chelsea face a one-window ban over Traore's signing, as well as three further transfer windows for the additional players, plus a fine of £45,000.

Traore signed his first professional contract with Chelsea in September 2013, after he turned 18, and was registered in January 2014.

Chelsea said in a statement on Thursday that "the club has fully cooperated with Federation Internationale de Football Association and has provided comprehensive evidence demonstrating its compliance with the applicable Federation Internationale de Football Association regulations".

Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have both previously received bans for breaching rules over the signing of minors in early 2016, while Barcelona were given a 14-month ban after breaking rules for signing global under-18s in 2014.

Real MadridThe Spanish giants were fined £282,000 and hit with a two-window ban in 2016 for the same offence as Atletico, but the ban was halved on appeal and the fine reduced to £188,000, causing Atletico to complain of unfair treatment. The club also admitted they had paid his mother £155,000 in April 2011 to acquire a first-refusal option to sign him. Real, in turn, accused CAS of "lacking the courage to revoke the ruling entirely".

Like this: