Published: Tue, November 06, 2018
Health Care | By Cedric Leonard

Last words of Sydney man who died after eating slug for dare

Last words of Sydney man who died after eating slug for dare

Bang. That's how it happened, " Sam's friend, Jimmy Galvin, told News.com.au.

Ballard did, and soon after he started feeling pain in his legs; the Independent notes he also started vomiting and had dizzy spells.

The unusual and sad case occurred because, along with the slug, Ballard had swallowed a parasite called Angiostrongylus cantonensis, commonly known as rat lungworm, which the slug likely picked up from rat droppings, according to the U.K.'s EveningStandard.

As a result of the parasite, Ballard contracted a type of meningitis tied to rat lungworm, and things went downhill from there.

One evening in 2010, Sam Ballard, then 19, was socialising with friends in the backyard of his home in the North Shore area of Sydney, Australia, drinking red wine, having a laugh and "trying to act like grownups".

Sam Ballard has passed away eight years after eating a slug that left him paralysed. "He contracted rat lung disease with devastating effects", Wilkinson said.

His eyes would always light up when they came around.

'The conversation came up, should I eat it?

On Friday Ballard - dubbed "cheeky larrikin" - died surrounded by loved ones.

Rihanna Reportedly Serves Notice After Her Song Is Used At Trump Rally
On Sunday, Rihanna also took to Instagram to endorse Andrew Gillum , the Democratic candidate for Florida governor. She's not the first artist who's been forced into blocking the President from using their music.


She added: "His last words to his mum: "I love you".

When he was released from hospital, three years after being admitted, his friends rallied around him and tried to raise as much money as possible to help with the medical bills, but sadly it was never enough.

"It made his day", his mates said.

"Told him it was the stress of the last 16 months that had affected my eyesight".

In 2011, Katie shared a post on Facebook, maintaining hope that her "rough-and-tumble Sam" would recover.

Katie Ballard, Sam's mother, says she doesn't blame the boys for their silly dare, or her son for taking them up on it.

In 2016, Katie Ballard applied to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) when Sam became eligible for a £300,000 package.

But in October, 2017, that was reviewed and slashed by more than half.

Like this: