Published: Thu, October 11, 2018
Electronics | By Kelly Massey

Google+ to shut down after security bug

Google+ to shut down after security bug

The flaw meant some Google profile information that users had thought was private, such as a person's email address, occupation, gender or age, could have been viewed by third parties, the company said in a post on a corporate blog.

The Wall Street Journal says it reviewed an internal memo circulated among Google's legal staff and senior executives that warned of "immediate regulatory interest" and public comparisons to Facebook's user information leak to Cambridge Analytica should the mistake become public.

"Every year, we send millions of notifications to users about privacy and security bugs and issues", a spokesperson for Google said in a statement provided to CNN Business. 'None of these thresholds were met in this instance.

Google also announced that, in addition to shutting down Google+, it's revamping its account permissions to allow users to pick and choose which data they share with third-party apps. However, a report by The Wall Street Journal newspaper suggested that the Mountain View, California, company wanted to avoid drawing regulatory scrutiny. Also, Smith is adamant Project Strobe found "no evidence" this bug was abused or even that the developers using the API were aware it existed.

Google has not been able to zero in on the users who have been affected, but claims that some 500,000 accounts, active between 2015 and 2018, were potentially affected.

"Our review showed that Google+ is better suited as an enterprise product where co-workers can engage in internal discussions on a secure corporate social network", Google said.

Samsung launches A9 smartphone with four cameras for the 'Instagram generation'
With this update, there would be hardly much of a difference in the camera features of the Galaxy Note 9 and Galaxy S9/S9 Plus. With the launch of the next iPhone now days away, the leaks , rumors, and analyst chatter is reaching fever pitch.


The company says it didn't find any evidence that any of the affected personal information was misused.

However, Google only keeps the log data of the API in question for two weeks, due to privacy reasons, and therefore "cannot confirm which users were impacted by this bug", Smith added.

Google published a lengthy blog on Monday setting out the data breach and its decision to shut down Google+ for consumers.

Google+ was introduced in 2011 as the tech giant's response to the rising social network phenomenon and as a rival to Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks. According to Google, 90% of Google+ user sessions were less than 5 seconds, which is strikingly low compared to other social networks.

"If you have a Google tattoo on you, then these are the phones for you", IDC analyst Ramon Llamas said of the Pixel's limited appeal so far.

David C. Vladeck, former director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection and now a Georgetown Law professor, said the new Google+ incident is "obviously a problem for Google".

Like this: