Published: Fri, September 14, 2018
Global News | By Blake Casey

US identifies some Korean War remains returned by North Korea

US identifies some Korean War remains returned by North Korea

Washington, Sep 12: Defence Secretary James Mattis has revealed that the U.S. has identified two sets of Korean War remains among those that had been returned by Pyongyang over a month ago.

Nevertheless, according to the U.S, the identifications process is anticipated to chip away at least 7,699 USA troops who remain unaccounted for in the Korean War.

Thousands of service members remain unaccounted for and Mattis confirmed the US and North Korea have engaged in conversations to have additional remains returned. They were welcomed home to the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam by Vice President Mike Pence, who described the event as "just a beginning" as work will not stop until all of the missing are fully accounted for. One set was identified as a tall black American.

Sampling for DNA analysis has been carried out so far on about half of the boxes of remains, they said.

North Korea turned over 55 boxes of remains to USA officials at Wonsan, North Korea, on July 27.

The forensic teams have reportedly analyzed 23 of the 55 sets of remains, though some are more complete than others.

Hurricane Florence: Five reasons to fear this storm
FEMA has warned that while downgraded, the storm will still generate life threatening storm surge and rainfall in North and SC . He said: 'If you're going to leave - and you should leave - if you haven't left yet, you should leave now.


The Pentagon estimates that of the approximately 7,700 U.S. MIAs from the Korean War, about 5,300 are unaccounted for on North Korean soil.

Other tables included personal objects from soldiers that don't have any identification on them, including buttons, canteens and old boots. He was evacuated south on a US Navy ship, she said.

A United Nations Command delegation led by US Air Force Major General Michael Minihan met with North Korean officials at Panmunjom Friday to discuss "military-to-military efforts to support any potential future return of remains", AFP reported Tuesday.

The United States and North Korea conducted joint searches for remains from 1996 until 2005, when Washington halted the operations citing concerns about the safety of its personnel as Pyongyang stepped up its nuclear program.

Scientists say it is unclear whether some of the boxes contain the remains of more than one body.

Like this: