Published: Wed, September 12, 2018
Life&Culture | By Sue Mclaughlin

Backstreet Boys star Nick Carter will not be charged with 2003 rape

Backstreet Boys star Nick Carter will not be charged with 2003 rape

In this June 16 photo, Backstreet Boys member Nick Carter performs at KTUphoria 2018 in Wantagh, N.Y. Prosecutors in Los Angeles have declined to file charges against Carter after a singer reported a year ago that he had raped her in his apartment in 2003.

As previously reported, Carter was accused of rape by singer Melissa Schuman, a former member of girl group Dream, in November 2017.

She alleged that Carter forced oral sex on her and later pressured her to perform oral sex on him.

After the bathroom incident, Schuman wrote, Carter took her into a bedroom and despite her pleas that she was a virgin and saving herself for marriage, raped her.

In a statement to Metro.co.uk, he said at the time: 'I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman's accusations.

"Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual", Carter said.

Nick added that he 'was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally'.

Australian cartoonist faces backlash after 'racist' cartoon on Serena Williams
If it happened in the men's match, it would not happen again. Fellow umpires don't want to be the next Carlos Ramos . Open champion and that's pretty dope".


In February, she filed a police report against Carter.

The charge evaluation worksheet stated that, because the statute of limitations had passed, "an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the evidence is not warranted and the matter is declined".

The 38-year-old Backstreet Boys singer tweeted the tragic news to his followers.

California scrapped its statute of limitations for rape in 2016, and Schuman told the Associated Press it was unfortunate that the state had not made the move retroactively to accommodate victims like her.

"I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses", Schuman went on to say.

She admitted she was "well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable", but that it had still provided her with "great solace" to know that her case had been documented by law enforcement. "This will be hard, but for the love of my fans here in Lima I'll be on the stage tonight", said Carter, who married his wife back in April 2014.

Like this: