Published: Sun, September 09, 2018
Global News | By Blake Casey

Woman severely injured after accidentally lighting dynamite

Woman severely injured after accidentally lighting dynamite

Police say the 30-year-old found what she thought was a candle that had been left in a basement drawer by a previous homeowner.

A CT woman was injured Thursday night after lighting a stick of dynamite that she mistook for a candle during a power outage, police said.

The Bridgeport assistant fire chief says the woman wanted to light a candle after the power went out in her home Thursday night.

The "tragic accident" unfolded on Lindley Street at about 9:20 p.m., after thunderstorms had knocked out power to homes in the Bridgeport area, CBS reported.

One of her children called 911 and she was taken to the hospital.

But it was a quarter-stick of dynamite and it exploded, causing serious injuries to the woman's face and hands.

The woman was taken to the hospital, officials said.

U.S. Open: Serena Williams thunders into final
Best of all time? Each equipped with a big forehand and serve, this could be a classic - even a passing-of-the-torch moment. As in her semi-final win over Karolina Pliskova , Williams took a while to warm up, dropping her serve in the opening game.


The woman's entire family - including a small child - was home, but no one else was injured, according to firefighters.

Caldaroni says one of the home's windows was blown out.

The local fire department and police removed it from the home and safely detonated it after evacuating neighbors living in adjacent homes.

It is against the law to have dynamite or fireworks in the state of CT, but police aren't pressing charges.

Officials searched surrounding properties but didn't find any other explosive devices.

Although it is illegal to possess dynamite, fireworks or firecrackers in CT, charges are not expected to be file since the family had no prior knowledge that they were in the possession of explosive devices.

Like this: