Published: Mon, July 09, 2018
Global News | By Blake Casey

Tourist jailed for video in Egypt

Tourist jailed for video in Egypt

She had been arrested in May before leaving Cairo.

Mona Al-Mazbouh's lawyer, Emad kamal Habib, told the court this Mona is suffering from a neurological disorder as a result of a brain disease she was diagnosed with at the age of 12, limiting her ability to properly control her actions. With all due respect to the judiciary, this is a severe ruling. "It is in the context of the law, but the court was applying the maximum penalty", Kamal said, according to Reuters.

In the video, she also claimed that a sum of money was stolen from an apartment she rented near the coastal city of Alexandria on a previous visit to Egypt.

"This sentence for insulting Egyptians is very cruel and is disproportionate for the crime she committed", said one Facebook user.

Mazbouh had published a video on Facebook, which was widely shared, saying that she had been the victim of sexual harassment in the streets and accusing Egyptians of thievery and scams. But if the appeals court upholds the original sentence, the Lebanese tourist is facing a horribly long time in prison for simply posting a Facebook video ranting about her disgusting vacation.

Fekir still keen to join an elite club, says Lyon manager Genesio
Liverpool have already added to their midfield arsenal with the additions of Naby Keita and Fabinho, and Fekir could be next. Nabil Fekir is now with France at the 2018 World Cup in Russian Federation .


"I love all Egyptians and I love this country, that's why I visited it a couple of times and I keep coming back", Al-Mazbouh concluded.

Egypt's government has come under criticisms for being intolerant towards dissenting views.

Egyptian rights activists have said they are facing the worst crackdown ever under Egypt's President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, claiming that he has erased freedoms won in the 2011 Arab Spring uprising that led to the end of Hosni Mubarak's 30-year rule, Reuters reported. The president and his supporters argue that strict measures are required to maintain the country's security, as a wave of bombs and other attacks have rocked the country in recent years.

The prosecutor referred Madbouh to an expedited trial over the video. "Between October 2014 and September 2017, authorities sent at least 15,500 civilians to military courts including over 150 children".

Like this: