Published: Thu, June 14, 2018
Life&Culture | By Sue Mclaughlin

Appeal court slashes Rebel Wilson’s defamation payout

Appeal court slashes Rebel Wilson’s defamation payout

Actress Rebel Wilson's record defamation payout from magazine publisher Bauer Media has been slashed from $4.5 million to just $600,000 by Victoria's Court of Appeal.

The judgment, handed down by the Court of Appeal in Melbourne on Thursday, means the Pitch Perfect actress will receive about $3.9 million less than she had originally been awarded.

During the trial, Wilson said her agents had advised her to stop mentioning her age - which was reported to be 29 in 2015 - because "Hollywood is very ageist, especially towards women".

According to Buzzfeed, the judge denied Wilson "special damages" stating she had not proven that the defamation cost her work.

In the hours before the appeal, Wilson pointed out that Thursday's case was contending the amount of money she was to be paid, not the result of the case.

The court set aside the decision to give Wilson around $3.9 million for economic losses, and reduced the $650,000 compensation figure awarded to the actor for non-economic loss by $50,000.

In September a year ago, Wilson won the largest defamation payout in Australian legal history, with Bauer ordered to pay $4.56 million in damages after accusing Wilson of being a serial liar in one of their magazines.

African Countries Vote Against Morocco's 2026 World Cup Bid
The vote means that the World Cup will come to the United States for the first time since 1994, amid growing interest in soccer . That edition of the tournament is set to be the biggest in history, with 48 teams qualifying to take part in the 34-day event.


She took to social media on Wednesday night to say regardless of the outcome she had "already won the case".

Bauer did not, however, appeal the verdict that the articles were defamatory, but argued the Australian-record damages awarded in September were excessive.

It was previously Australia's largest ever defamation payout.

"I'm away on location in Europe filming right now", she tweeted.

Discussing the case earlier this year, Wilson said the magazines had launched a vicious campaign which derailed her career and had been "really, really hurtful and devastating".

Wilson is overseas at the moment, so she has yet to comment on today's decision.

Like this: