Published: Wed, June 13, 2018
Health Care | By Cedric Leonard

Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

Tick Bites 5-Year-Old Girl’s Head; She Woke Up Paralyzed

Griffin said she rushed her daughter to the hospital where doctors diagnosed her with tick paralysis.

It didn't last long, though. "She has been such a champ throughout this whole ordeal!", wrote Griffin. Later that evening, Kailin was able to walk out of the hospital.

"Fortunately, it is relatively rare", said Robbin Lindsay, a research scientist at the Public Health Agency of Canada who specializes in ticks.

The condition is thought to be caused by a toxin found in tick saliva, according to the Centers for Disease Control, which says symptoms usually subside about 24 hours after removing the tick.

Symptoms can take up to seven days to develop. Symptoms such as an unsteady gait, muscle weakness, breathing difficulties and flu-like symptoms can occur, with paralysis starting from the lower body and moving up.

"I immediately called my husband, who is in Iraq, freaking out over the phone asking what could be going on, and he told me that I needed to put the tick in a zip-lock bag and take it with me straight to the E.R. and that it was more than likely tick paralysis", she told Mississippi News Now. It's more common in children than it is adults!

Liverpool transfer rumours: Jasper Cillessen, Nabil Fekir, Manuel Lanzini and Alisson
The French worldwide was so close to signing for Liverpool and had even conducted interviews with the club's media team before the dramatic collapse of the deal.


In Canada, tick paralysis is most commonly caused by the Rocky Mountain wood tick, with most cases in south-central B.C., he said.

And last year, Amanda Lewis woke up and found that her 3-year-old daughter, Evelyn, couldn't stand no matter how hard the little girl tried, according to the La Grande Observer.

The CDC recommends showering within two hours of coming indoors to reduce the risk of getting Lyme Disease and other tick-borne diseases.

"I think people should get out there and enjoy the great outdoors, just remember ticks are out there", he said.

But human children are also susceptible due to their smaller body mass. Girls get tick paralysis more frequently because the ticks can easily hide in a mass of hair, according to the foundation.

You should also perform a thorough "tick check" when you get home: carefully check your skin for ticks. She also wrote a lengthy warning to parents, urging them to check their children for ticks. "PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks", she posted.

Like this: