Published: Tue, June 12, 2018
Health Care | By Cedric Leonard

Mother warning others of dangers of ticks after daughter suffers tick paralysis

Mother warning others of dangers of ticks after daughter suffers tick paralysis

"As soon as her feet hit the floor, she fell", Griffin told local news outlet Mississippi News Now.

A mom in MS said she got the scare of her life last week when her young daughter temporarily lost the ability to walk after getting bit by a tick.

A Grenada, Mississippi mother's warning to other parents after her daughter suffered tick paralysis has been shared thousands of times on Facebook.

Jessica Griffin said her daughter, Kailyn, woke up on June 6 and couldn't walk.

Griffin to Kailyn to the hospital after the girl had trouble walking in the morning.

Fortnite for Nintendo Switch leaked via an update to the eShop
At the moment, no further announcements were teased, even if we don't know whether more will come at the show itself. However, thanks to an extremely convincing leak , we may know Nintendo's itinerary, or at least a sizzle reel.


After testing, Kailyn was diagnosed with tick paralysis. Symptoms usually appear about four to seven days after a tick bites a person, and typically go away within 24 hours of tick removal, the CDC said. Later that evening, Kailin was able to walk out of the hospital.

A tick that may have been the cause of the paralysis was found and removed from the top of Kailyn's head. Then, it can cause symptoms like tingling in the face and limbs, fatigue, weakness and muscle pain, according to the B.C. Centre for Disease Control.

The paralysis is "ascending", which means it starts in the lower body and moves up, the NIH says.

Women and children are most at risk. "She would try to stand and walk but would continue to fall so I thought her legs were just asleep". When she brushed Kailyn's hair, she saw it: a tick had latched on to the girl's scalp. According to the American Lyme Disease Foundation, tick paralysis occurs when an engorged, egg-laden female tick transmits a neurotoxin to its host.

"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she wrote.

Like this: