Published: Wed, May 16, 2018
Global News | By Blake Casey

Man dies of 'projectile wound of the head' after vape pen explodes

Man dies of 'projectile wound of the head' after vape pen explodes

The 38-year-old's vape pen was reportedly a device made in the Philippines that is unregulated.

Use vapes with safety features, including protection against overcharging.

"A lot of things you get with smoking are not quite present in electronic cigarettes", Weeks said. Lose yourself in the billowing, sweet mist'. In this case, the autopsy noted that D'Elia was using a "mod" type e-cigarette manufactured by Smok-E Mountain.

The website clearly states: '**NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BEGINNERS**,' adding that the devices are for advanced users only. Wilder told ABC Action News that he, as well as many other local store owners, won't sell unregulated e-cigarettes.

Wilder also said rubber casings should be used over additional batteries and batteries that appear worn should be rewrapped. An autopsy has confirmed that Florida man Tallmadge D'Elia may have been the very first death caused by an exploding vape pen.

D'Elia's death has been explained as "accidental", with 13WMAZ reporting that he suffered 80 per cent burns.

Teacher on leave after drowning raccoons during class
One video shows the tip of a raccoon's snout sticking out just above the surface of the water. She claims the raccoons were held down with metal rods when they tried to come up for air.


The pen exploded into pieces, at least two of which were sent into his head, the medical examiner said, ad he suffered burns on about 80 percent of his body.

Reports do not indicate what caused this particular e-cig explosion, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration claims that e-cigarette explosion incidents can be related to problems with the battery in a vaping pen.

"No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to vital areas of the human body", the U.S. Fire Administration said.

She told Fox6: 'I saw the smoke coming out of the roof and we were hoping that nobody was home but then we found out that Wake was home'.

A similar issue happened a year later in Idaho with a father losing nine teeth and suffering second-degree burns after a vape pen exploded in his mouth.

There have been a few incidents of injuries stemming from vape pen explosions.

Like this: